Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Thunder Fan For Now

As most people who know me I am a big time supporter of Oklahoma City Univ. basketball. Attending games as a child as young as five, I spent hundreds of evenings and some days inside Fredrickson Field House watching Coach Abe's Chiefs play Division 1 basketball against teams like SMU, TCU, Hardin-Simmons, Loyola of the South (New Orleans), Denver, and Creighton, just to mention a few of the older rivalries. After Abe moved on to Pan American in the 70's, Paul Hansen took over the program and the action was still exciting. Following a down time the Chiefs moved to the NAIA and though the team was in a different classification, the quality of players actually went up with the likes of Eric Manuel, Smokey McCovery, etc. Great coaches, Abe in his second turn, followed by Darrell Johnson, Win Case, and Ray Harper brought the Chiefs to the pinnacle of the NAIA, the school with the most National Titles (6) and the longest winning streak in the NAIA (58).

With the Thunder coming to town and the Stars not winning conference titles, let alone National Titles, it was enviable that my time and money would move to 4th Street instead of the OCU campus. Once the men's team gets a winning coach I would suspect that I will be back in the fold at OCU. I cannot stand by and not watch the best basketball players in the world while my school finishes in the middle of the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment